Friday, January 14, 2011

Taqueria Potrillos - Camarillo


Hey there! I haven't had time to blog about any taquerias since the bloody aftermath of Christmas/New Years so I thought it was definitely time to get back on the horse and spit out the first set of reviews for 2011.

Taqueria Potrillos is located in Camarillo across the street from one of my favorite places to go for a taco, Establos Meat Market, on Ventura Boulevard.

Anyhow, tiny hole in the wall type of place that you would expect- Now that's neither here nor there but what is, is the complementary chips, salsa, pickled veggies and other goodies that I helped myself too.

I ordered 4 tacos at the counter: carne asada, al pastor, carnitas and cabeza ( meat off the head of a cow) and had a seat at one of the few remaining tables.




Starting with the cabeza: as you can imagine, the meat was a bit gamy so it had that distinct tangy flavor. They had a very nice salsa verde loaded up on this taco which seemed to complement the meat, which was very tender and falling apart by the way. The tamatillo flavor of the salsa chilled out the tangy taste of the cabeza and somehow it all worked to make a decent taco.

Al pastor was nice, albeit pretty greasy. If that bugs you then this is not the al pastor for you. I felt that this pastor, no where near an authentic execution nor in the Ventura style either, was tasty. The pork was tender but with a noticeable charred crispness on the outside. Had a very flavorful adobado taste. Totally delicious, I'd come back just for another one of these.

Carne Asada was finely chopped, greasy, tender and with a crisp charred texture through out. Can't complain to much on this one either. Solid.

Carnitas was not shredded but cut into small cubes that tasted deep fried, almost like chicharrones. They were very crispy and greasy. Catching the overall theme here? They're not shy about the copious amounts of lard used in their cooking.

So, the verdict? Well Taqueria Potrillos is definitely a greasy spoon taqueria through and through. I don't mind that to much but some folks may. In any case, its my blog and I liked the place so 3 stars for them. Am I just totally high from the ridiculous lard intake ala Super Size Me? YES. Will I regret this decision later? Probably.  3/5 stars



Taqueria Potrillos
2650 Ventura Boulevard
Camarillo, CA 93011

2 comments:

  1. You need to try Establos across the street from this place in Camarillo! Put's it to shame!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Cantina Tacos at Taco Bell put all of these slop houses to shame. If you want real Mexican food, make a run for the border. I'm out.

    PS- I'm only 14 biatch.

    ReplyDelete