Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Taqueria Jalisco - Oxnard


Well, as usual I'm back in Oxnard and this time at Taqueria Jalisco. By looking at the picture above, you'll notice there's no sign letting you know that its Taqueria Jalisco but, whatever- This is were I ended up.

When I went to the Taqueria Jalisco in Simi Valley, I loved it. I'm not sure if the two are related (business wise I mean) but if its as good as that place then I'm in for some high quality tacos.

Anyways, I walk in and discover that:

A: There's no posted/printed menu at all.

B: About 5 dudes sitting at one of the table's (including the guy who eventually took my order) watching Mexican telenovelas on the TV mounted to the wall. And I mean they were hanging on every freaking word.

C: By far the most disappointing, only 3 taco options. Yup: Pollo, Al Pastor and Carnitas.

Yes, its true, for the last few reviews I have stuck to ordering Pastor, Asada and Carnitas but I've been wanting to go back to trying other types of tacos and was planning on starting with this post. Also, who cares if there's no menu, I've obviously been to many a taqueria without any posted menu. I'm just nit picking at this point.

Alright, I sit at one of the tables and receive my order.



Pollo: Pretty dry. It was served up cut into cubes and appeared to have been seared on the plancha a bit. But all in all it was a boring cut of boneless skinless chicken breast probably seasoned with Goya Adobo seasoning or something. I don't know, I'd probably have a better time at El Pollo Loco armed with a bottle of El Yucateco.

Al Pastor: This was the standout of the group but it was just an average pastor taco. Nice flavor with the achiote but the texture was too tough and the feel in my mouth too dry.

Carnitas: Shredded with some pork flavor and some crispy fat in there but again, too dry. No juiciness to it whatsoever.

The one positive was the salsa; it was nice and hot, had a very strong, snappy heat at the front of the mouth. It was definitely a one trick pony though, it didn't offer any other complexities in flavor it just got right to the point. But I loved it that way and would have absolutely drenched my tacos with the stuff if I had the chance.

Well, as you can read this was not the most exciting place I've ever been to. Its also not overwhelmingly bad were I start to go into great (agonizing) detail about how shitty thing's were and such. In any case, I really can't recommend Taqueria Jalisco in Oxnard, There's just to many other options that are much better around.
2/5 stars.

Taqueria Jalisco (Oxnard)
345 South C Street
Oxnard, Ca 93030


No comments:

Post a Comment