Monday, March 12, 2012

Santa Cruz Mexican Cuisine - Ventura


Hi!

Well, I found it necessary to blog about something this month so here it goes.

Santa Cruz Mexican Cuisine is where this particular post takes place, I've never heard of the taqueria before but its not to far down the road from another Mexican establishment that I've reviewed in the past: El Burrito Alegre. Also, they have a huge banner draped over the top of the entryway that reads: "Delicious Mexican Food Here".

I know I'm being captain obvious on that one seeing as how you can all make that observation yourself with that picture at the top but........

Anyways, whatever, I walk inside and B-line it to the counter and order: Carnitas, Carne Asada and Tripas.

Be aware that the tacos come in two different sizes (regular taco and mini tacos) the carnitas and the carne asdada I ordered were in the "mini taco" size and the tripas taco was actually posted on the menu by itself. Like, that it was a specialty of the house, a dish on its own.......you know what I mean? And also a bit larger than the mini tacos.




So, the tacos all arrived on my plate with no salsa on board. I poured the salsa roja that I obtained at the salsa bar pretty much all over the 3 tacos I ordered. The salsa was executed to perfection, it had all the greatest hits of a salsa roja you could want: smokey flavor, not to "liquidy" not like paste either, nice slow building heat, great spicy finish. When I die, I want the tacos served at my funeral topped with something like this. I better let my kids know this information ASAP. 

Tripas: Wow, really good. I've only had one other tripas taco (intestines) for this blog at El Preferido Taco Shop in Santa Paula. This one is easily better, great crispy texture from the deep fry treatment but not losing any of the chewy character that tripas has. Its all in the cooking and these were cooked perfectly, just the right amount of time spent frying and arriving sizzling hot on my plate.

Carne Asada: Solid. No wow factor here but these small pieces of asada get the job done in this taco. Slight char, moist, not overcooked or loaded with connective bits/gristle. Good job!

Carnitas: To dry, dudes. Yes it was shredded and somehow the texture was acceptable (as in the meat fell apart with every bite) but the mouth feel was all wrong as the carnitas did not retain any moister or oil/grease/fat/whatever from the cooking process. So, it just didn't work for me. Also, no bold "pork" flavor.

And that's really what its all about friends, if I'm eating pork I want to know that I'm eating pork. Don't bullshit me, if I keep eating like this I'll be gaining some pounds on the way to an early grave. That's the message I need those carnitas to send me.

The tortillas were lightly oiled and volcanically hot. Again, well done.

I liked the place, a solid choice for tacos. 3.5/5 stars.

Santa Cruz Mexican Cuisine
4587 Telephone Road
Ventura, Ca 93003

1 comment:

  1. hey nice source for us and thanks for sharing the amazing blog of the Mexican Cuisine and i read this blog and it is amazing and easy to understand and i have to bookmark this blog for future use.

    BBQ Ventura

    ReplyDelete