Wednesday, November 24, 2010

La Gloria De Oxnard - Oxnard


This place almost had me in tears......... I discovered for the first time what all the fuss was about. What I'm referring to is La Gloria Market in Oxnard. More specifically, after I walked though the doors of this wonderful red bricked Mexican grocery store, I found a Disneyland of Mexican food awaiting me. Am I going a little crazy here? probably, but its my taco blog (that goes for you, 3 people that read this!) and I think this place was awesome.

Well- awesome in the sense that it reminded me of my childhood trips into Mexico with my parents. The place definitely had the feel and look of a place across the boarder. There was so much Mexican culinary variety at La Gloria that I just don't have enough time to write down everything that I saw. Also, I need to stay on point some what with me only there for the tacos.



Yes, La Gloria is a grocery store, bakery and super-taqueria all rolled into one, and is located off of Oxnard boulevard. By the way, when facing the front of La Gloria, go to the door on the right, that will take you into their restaurant. Unless you need a new Scooby Doo pinata then go through the left door.

As I went up to the counter to order my tacos, I looked in awe through the glass in front of the heating trays loaded with wonderful and various fillings that I could have chosen from: Carnitas, Carne Asada, Al Pastor, Birria, Cabeza De Chivo, Patitas de Puerco, Bisteka Mexicana, Carne De Res, Papas con Chorizo and, in a come back of sorts, Chicharones en Salsa Verde! That was nice to see after the crap I made Josh eat at Mercado Guadalajara a few days ago. I'm not going to elaborate further on all of these items I listed because then this post would be waaaaay to long. Just google this stuff and you'll be fine.

Okay, I went simple since I was so overwhelmed (yes, that means Pastor, Carnitas and Asada) and headed outside to the pretty little courtyard located in between the restaurant and grocery store.

All of the  tacos came topped with the standard items, and the salsa roja that was on all three was very tasty. Not a ton of heat but enough that you'll notice it in your taco. Very nice consistency, not to watery but not paste-like either.






Carne Asada, it was similar to Lalo's execution in that it had the taste of Asada but too rubbery in texture. To much connective bits abound that made for difficult chewing, not really tender. The cuts here were small but that didn't help at all like I thought it would have at Lalo's. All in all it was okay, just not a super star taco.

Carnitas was totally delicious, it came already shredded and was just falling apart with every bite. Great depth of flavor, fatty and greasy but in a good way. Salsa was a nice compliment too.

But the star of this trio was by far the Al Pastor. Finally, real (almost) Al Pastor! Man this was so good, it had the pineapple chunks in there and the pork tasted like it had been cooking for some time which in turn made the meat so very tender. With a great mix of chili flavor through out, the flavor profile of this taco fit the bill in the authenticity department. If the salsa was a little hotter this would be total perfection in my mind.

Obviously, I have to come back to La Gloria to try a bunch of other things (plus bring Josh with me) but that will have to wait till some other time.

Even though the carne asada was a weak point I'm giving this place high marks just because of that kick ass Al Pastor. Do yourself a favor and check La Gloria out, it may help if you bring a Spanish speaking person with you though. 4/5 strars.




La Gloria De Oxnard
430 South Oxnard Boulevard
Oxnard, Ca 93030

3 comments:

  1. Dude, it was pretty good. Let me know when you can go, I really wanna go back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will do, i may be able to on Monday now

    ReplyDelete