Thursday, December 2, 2010

Carnitas Michoacanas - Simi Valley


I really don't know much about taquerias in Simi Valley so I decided that for today's post I'd play it safe for my first time out there. That's why I choose Carnitas Michoacanas off Tapo. There are a bunch of other taquerias with a similar name scattered all over Southern California but I have no clue if they're all related in any way (well, in a business way) but maybe the fact that its "Michoacanas" and not "Michoacan" is what makes this place a stand alone taqueria.

This taqueria is a pretty unassuming looking little place- But makes some noise with a name like Carnitas Michoacanas. If your not familiar, Michoacan is the state in Mexico that is supposed to be the birth place of the carnitas recipe. So, one would expect alot walking in.

At the counter ordering my tacos ($1.16 each by the way) and realize as I'm looking up at the menu that it has photos of what you can order but no written description of what those photos are supposed to be. So, a picture of a burrito has no "burrito" written under the picture. Whatever, it doesn't matter but just have in mind what you want before you order or just ask the lady behind the counter if they make it.

Anyhow, ordered two carnitas, al pastor and an asada and all were topped with cilantro, onions and salsa roja.



The carne asada was very well seasoned, and cut up into little pieces. It was of the "boiled" variety that Josh and I sometimes describe it as. It didn't look like it was put on the plancha but rather came out of a heating tray which produced a steamed effect. It made for a very moist and tender texture that even though is not normally the way I prefer, was quite delicious.

Carnitas were okay; shredded and somewhat moist but not very impressive as a whole. I can say that I've been to at least 3 or 4 other places in Ventura County that serve up carnitas way better than this.

The al pastor tasted somewhere in between the Ventura version and the one that sorta resembles the authentic version. It had loads of spice and was very tender, much like the asada, but no hints of pineapple whatsoever. It may have been slightly over spiced (with cumin, cloves, etc.) but had a nice solid flavor of pork which made for a very tasty taco. Again, not the best for al pastor but flavorful in its own unique way.

The salsa roja made for an adequate counter point to all of these tacos. I really liked it actually, even though it wasn't very smokey or smooth the heat instead snapped with a very sharp flavor of chilies and was good that way.

So, in review, Carnitas Mochoacanas makes tacos and salsas not normally the way I personally would like but still manages to make the food taste pretty good. The carnitas was nothing to write home about but it wasn't awful either. I liked my tacos and at the end of the day, that's all I really need. The best 2.5 stared place I've been to. 2.5/5 stars.



Carnitas Michoacanas
2480 Tapo Street
Simi Valley, Ca 93063









2 comments:

  1. Awesome blog, Rob! I work on the Avenue, where there are more taquerias than there are stars in the sky, but so far my favorites are Ortiz Taco Time and Red Barn Liquor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks! I have so many places on the avenue to get to still.

    ReplyDelete