Monday, November 8, 2010

El Taco De Mexico (5th Street) - Oxnard


Welp, after the total debacle that was Super Taco, Josh and I walked to the nearest taqueria, which ended up being another freaking El Taco De Mexico. Apparently, there are several of these in Oxnard and in Ventura, that have no relation to one another.

We wanted to go to Taqueria Mi Tierra but it was closed. I'm not sure what the deal was but they actually might be out of business.

As we walked up to Taco De Mexico, we both noticed the long line. The place was definitely busy, but was it any good?

I ordered 2 tacos: Al Pastor and Carnitas, Josh Ordered three: Carnitas, Pastor and Asada.



Rob's Tacos

My Carnitas was decent, it was succulent and shredded, not falling apart but tender. Like I said, it was decent. Flavor you ask? none to really speak of.

The Al Pastor was really strong on the chili flavor which is usually ancho chile (dried Pablano chilies). The meat was kinda tender but not really. This was not a real pastor flavor and the cilantro, onions and salsa roja that all our tacos came topped with didn't do anything to cover up these flaws. After the crap that Josh and I had just eaten, it seemed really good in comparison, but so would have Cantina Tacos from Taco Bell.

I can't over emphasize enough how bad the tacos at Super Taco were. I swear the filling in all the tacos tasted like what I imagine Soylent Green (its made out of people!) must have tasted like.


Josh's Tacos

Josh's take:

"Pastor: the pastor was very red chili powder heavy but it mostly just tasted and had the consistency of a sloppy joe. It was more of a BBQ thing then anything like the al pastor I've had before, more like a taco from a BBQ Texas place"

"Asada: just there, the flavors were way better then the first place we tried, but that's like saying watered down vodka by 1/2 water 1/2 vodka tastes better then 3/4 water 1/4 vodka, both aren't favorable"

"Carnitas: dry, nothing memorable"

"Not even their salsa cups could save these taco's, they were like eating a restaurants new attempt at making tacos, not like an authentic taco stand"

Josh said a lot of other negative things but I'm trying to keep this blog some what clean. He mentioned that one of his tacos from El Taco De Mexico tasted like "un-marinated mushed tofu" which really blows if your the one trying to scarf it down.


In any case, El Taco De Mexico Was okay, but I'm going to have to give a low score. The meat in these tacos didn't shine at all. They were acceptable tacos but not totally enjoyable. Super Taco was just plan bad; I would need someone to pay me in order to eat there again.

El Taco De Mexico on 5th street may be known more for its Tortas and Burritos but their tacos seem to be an after thought though. 1.5/5 stars.



El Taco De Mexico
210 East 5th Street
Oxnard, CA 93030

2 comments:

  1. Unmarinated mushed tofu is my jam! I think I'm going to have to try this place out.

    BTW, I really love the "Educated Latino vs. Average White Guy That Likes Tacos" takes that you are starting to get with the blog. Keep this up.

    ReplyDelete