Friday, November 5, 2010

Super Taco - Oxnard





For today’s post I’m back in Oxnard again trying to find the holy grail of tacos. This time I brought my friend Josh along (who I’m also in a band with ) he will probably start acting as a sort of correspondent for this blog. I value Josh’s opinion greatly when it comes to tacos and I also thought he may be able to give a different perspective, especially since I’ve been encountering so much crap lately.


Josh gets to eat a lot of good tacos (and great Mexican food for that matter) since he works in LA and goes right to all the good the stuff that’s out there. At this point, his pallet may be much more advanced than mine, so to speak. Let’s face it, most of what I’ve blogged about has been a disappointment. Still, I’m optimistic since I’ve just started and there is so much more left to go.

I also feel that I’m on a collision course with Taqueria El Tapatio #2 in Oxnard. It’s been mentioned to me already more than once and its possible that they may in fact end up wearing the top crown in Oxnard. Until then though, I’ve got to see if something else will turn up in my tour of the “Nard”.

Josh and I headed to Super Taco off of 5th street in Oxnard. Most of what I have heard about this place is that it’s really dirty, which doesn’t bother me since I only care about how good their tacos are. I've been to many "dirty" places in my time and could care less about something like that.

As we approach the order window I notice they also have Chicharrones (pork rinds) on their menu, which I personally love. The only problem was that I noticed the hand written sign with this information after I placed my order (Al Pastor, Buche and Carne Asada by the way) so I was too late.



Robs Taco's

Josh ordered Carnitas, Al Pastor and Carne Asada with cilantro, onions and salsa roja, as did I.

My tacos: Carne Asada was garbage. I'm serious, it was that bad. All I tasted was their watery crappy salsa, some cilantro and a whole lotta corn tortilla but no steak flavor whatsoever.

In fact, I don't think its worth describing the Pastor or the Buche I had because they were both totally terrible. Mushy and flavorless, it was a real pain in the ass to finish eating them.


Josh's Tacos

Anyhow, here's what Josh said:

"All the taco's tasted the same, like nothing but tortilla, once I thought I tasted something smokey but it went away fast"

"Carnitas: I had to eat through 3/4 of the taco before I got to the actual meat, it was all just white chunks of fat with no flavor"

"Asada - what the hell was that?"

"Pastor, really fine, not dry, but no flavor, it was very easy to eat which would be acceptable to me if it actually tasted like anything. I seriously couldn't even taste the salsa or the onions"

I think you get the picture here, all in all the place sucked. I'm done here. 0.5/5 stars.



Super Taco
154 East 5th Street
Oxnard, Ca 93030

8 comments:

  1. Those tacos look like ass !! I'm never going there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. they kill people here! dont go there!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The young man tried to rob this place and was going to shoot the cashier! It was in self-defense, an accident on the cashiers behalf, that sadly ended in tragedy. Please get your story straight!

      Delete
  3. they always get ur order wrong and this poor young man ordered a burrito only to get shot? WTF? Please dont contribute to this so called eatery!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This place actually has great burritos. In regards to a young man getting shot, I heard he tried to rob the place, he had robbed many other places beforehand. The act was in self defense people!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a woman who works here in the evenings ( tattoo on chest, black hair) who has a serious anger management problem. She cursed and yelled at me in Spanish and threw my change at me. Frightening! I will never go here again for fear of my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't be shocked to find it was this cashier who killed the young man and that she lied about the " robbery"

      Delete
    2. best stay outta the hood then...

      Delete