Sunday, September 19, 2010

La Carreta De Don Gaby - Oxnard


As I was headed back home after eating at Taquria Vallarta ( and still feeling some disappointment after trying their Birria) my wife pointed out a taco truck that she saw stationed in a parking lot next to a garage door installation company. So, with that, I got off at the next exit to check it out.



The truck was called: La Carreta De Don Gaby Tacos and its parked on the corner of Ventura Boulevard and Balboa in Oxnard. The funny thing is, someone stuck one of their flyers on my car underneath the windshield wiper a while back. I’ve meant to go check them out in the past but just haven’t had any time.


It was pretty dead when I got there, probably because it was after lunch and before dinner.


Anyhow, I ordered 2 tacos (I would have ordered more, but I just had 3 at Vallarta) one Carne Asada and one Al Pastor. I’ve mentioned recently (although, I did not go into full detail) about the way Al Pastor is traditionally cooked. Normally, it’s cooked on a rotisserie or spit, and the meat is sliced right off of it, chopped up, and on to the tortilla. In any case, they did not have one in the truck but at this point, I’d be surprised if I saw one at any establishment in the Ventura County.


There wasn’t a salsa/condiment table anywhere around but the dude taking my order asked if I wanted salsa roja or verde on my tacos. I went with roja.


After I got my tacos, the first thing I noticed that came with my order was a huge cooked scallion and jalapeno on the plate. Obviously, I was pretty happy about this.





The Carne Asada was good; the salsa roja was spicy and thick and complemented the flavor of the meat really well. It’s still not the best Carne Asada that I’ve had but it was very good. The meat was cut into small pieces but flavorful and tender too. No charred bits the way I like but that’s okay.


The Al Pastor was delicious. Like I wrote earlier, not off of a spit but still tasted excellent. Loads of pineapple and spicy flavors, and again, the salsa roja absolutely kicked this taco up a notch. Great job.


I don’t know how many other taco trucks operate in and around the Ventura County. I’m still not totally clear on all the rules, regulations and ordinances for each town and city in that regard. But, I will definitely be on the lookout for more of them.


And as far as Don Gaby’s truck is concerned, I’ll be a repeat customer. 3.5/5 stars.

LA Carreta De Don Gaby
701 East Ventura Boulevard
Oxnard, Ca 93036

12 comments:

  1. When I wrote “taco truck” I meant a wagon that only serves Mexican food and not a “lunch truck” that serves a bit of everything. I see those all the time around town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude I have totally seen that taco truck because I've worked around that area before and I've wondered if it was good or not. cool to hear they have some good stuff on the menu

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can find al pastor on the spit served at Taqueria Cuernavaca on Ventura Avenue... it's near Stanley, and you will not be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I'll be getting to Taqueria Cuernavaca very soon. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Check out: http://www.facebook.com/BellArtsFactory. Posted a link to your blog - thanks for the reviews. Ortiz Taco Time is right across the street from Bell Arts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yea they are good!!...and I once heard their tacos were the best in town....well at least one of the best...and i actually know some guy that knows the owner and he mentioned that everything is fresh prepared the same day to keep that extra delicious spark on the food they serve.....and from experience they are actually good as described....5stars.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I've gone back a couple of times and it’s even better than what I described in this review. I will be doing a re-review shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The thing i liked most from this taco man was,the big chilote !!! mmmmmmm ....Cant wait for more !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have a professional haunted house at 961 North Rice Avenue and were wondering if you could recommend a good taco truck to come out in the evenings on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are not many options in the Ventura County but I would definitely go with Don Gaby if you can get him. I know that I’ve seen him advertise for events and such. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The tacos, burritos and tortas are great. Food get better every time that I return. "La Bombocha" is the best tortas I have ever tasted. Don Gaby's carreta gets 5 stars.

    ReplyDelete