Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Los Arroyos - Camarillo


For today’s trip, I went to a place in Camarillo called Los Arroyos. It’s located in the Camarillo Outlet Mall off of Las Posas Road.


There are other Los Arroyos restaurants located in Santa Barbara and Montecito as well. It’s a bit more upscale than the last few places that I’ve recently visited. It’s also pricy and definitely not a taqeuria, so no $1.25 tacos here.


I ordered 2 tacos, Al Pastor and Carne Asada with black beans and rice on the side. The menu is not very diverse as far as taco options are concerned but they do have other dishes on the menu that look very interesting and creative.


They do have a salsa bar there but apparently, you can’t serve yourself. You have to put in your request to the waiter and they will go get it for you. The group that I was with ordered a medium spicy salsa and a hot one, both were good. They each had plenty of heat, with the spicier of the 2 having that smokey flavor that seems to be the prerequisite in salsas with more heat. The medium spiced one was very flavorful and you could really taste the peppers that were used in its recipe. I’m guessing Serrano but I can’t be too sure.





As far as the tacos were concerned, the carne asada tasted okay. Seems like they used a thicker cut like Skirt steak to make it, it was tough to bite through and was cut into large chunks. Had some flavor but not the traditional carne asada taste I’m usually looking for.


The Al Pastor was very good; it had a pineapple flavor that I imagine came from pineapple juice dripping down the vertical rotisserie spit that the meat was hanging on to. I don’t know if it was prepared that way but again, it was very good.





The tortillas tasted handmade and had very subtle corn flavor. Not in a traditional way but in creative culinary way.

My friend from work that was part of the group I was with mentioned that his carnitas taco was a bit on the dry side and with no real crispy bits. I asked him if he needed to pour some salsa on top to “wake it up" and he said yes. That’s not good.

All of the tacos came with cilantro and onions on top, we all had to pour some salsa on our tacos before we dug in. That’s not unusual; some taquerias have salsa already on top of their tacos and some don’t.

Overall, I liked the place. Did it have the feel of a mini El Torito? Yes, a little, but like I said, it’s a restaurant not a taqueria. Good food though. 3/5 stars.






Los Arroyos
630 Ventura Boulevard
Suite 1217
Camarillo, CA 93010

No comments:

Post a Comment