Sunday, September 19, 2010

Taqueria Vallarta - Ventura


 Today’s trip takes me to Taqueria Vallarta located off Main Street in downtown Ventura.

My original plan called for me to go check out Corrales off Thompson in Ventura but through my sister, I learned that they are closed on Sundays. So, I met up with my sister and brother in law at Vallarta instead.

After I got in line to order and I was trying to decide what to go with, I noticed a sign that said they had birria available today. Birria is a spicy stew that is traditionally made with goat or lamb, but in the states I’ve tried it many times made with beef.



I order 3 tacos: Carne Asada, Carnitas and Birria.

Stopping by the Salsa bar/condiment table, they had 2 salsa’s available and spicy pickled veggies too. The spicier of the 2 was kind of like a salsa roja but it was much more “watery” than salsa roja and with a milder kick, it was okay. The other salsa was adequate; it was even milder in heat then the first and not very flavorful. They were both smoky but not very impressive; I really could not pinpoint what sorts of peppers were used in either.



As far as the tacos go: Care Asada was much like the asada that I had at Somis Café a few weeks back, tender meat cut into large chunks with not much flavor, big disappointment.  Really, I don’t get it-  Carne Asada should be easy to execute in a style that is akin to “street tacos” meaning, thin meat that’s been marinating for awhile then thrown on that sizzling hot plancha (flat top) and served a little greasy and a little crispy and cut into small pieces. That’s what I’m looking for in Carne Asada, anyway.

The Carnitas were spot on: shredded pork with plenty of crispy goodness abound, excellent.

The Birria was okay. It was not as tender as I would have liked, I’m used to it falling apart it’s so tender, then melting in your mouth when eaten. it was not spicy at all, again, just okay.

All the tacos came topped with some cilantro and onions and the carnitas had chopped tomatoes on top as well.



I had a great time hanging out with my family (this is the first time that I brought the kids and wife along) but Taqueria Vallarta needs to step it up a bit. 2.5/5 stars.


Taquria Vallarta
278 Main Street
Ventura, CA 93001

No comments:

Post a Comment