Tuesday, October 12, 2010

El Taco De Mexico - Oxnard


For today’s taco excursion, I ended up at a place called El Taco De Mexico in Oxnard. I guess I was just keeping with the theme of “tacos de Mexico” after the last place that I posted about in Oxnard called Jesse’s Taco De Mexico.

Either way, this again was another taqueria that I was really looking forward to eating at. After not posting anything for that last 2 weeks I really wanted to start this next session of posting off strong with a good showing out of the heart of Oxnard.

Strangely enough, El Taco De Mexico is right next door to another taqueria called: Taqueria Hernandez. I've never seen 2 next to each other (not in Ventura County, anyways) but at some point I'll probably come back to check that place out as well.

Okay, as far as El Taco De Mexico is concerned it was much more spacious inside than I expected. I immediately got in line after entering and ordered 4 tacos a the register: Carne Asada, Al Pastor, Carnitas and Buche (Pigs stomach lining).



There wasn't a condiment table or salsa bar or anything but the option for taco fixing's when you order are cilantro, onion and either a hot or mild salsa. I went with everything mentioned and the hot salsa.

The tacos: The Carne Asada was a bit bland. Although it was chopped up into tiny pieces it just lacked any real flavor. The spicy salsa roja almost hid this fact but they weren't very liberal when pouring the salsa on to the tacos, there was very little salsa on all of my tacos. What small amount of salsa I could taste was pretty good; a real smooth heat and very flavorful but it could not rescue that asada.



The Al Pastor had a ton of spices mixed in with the meat but it didn't make it any good. It was a sloppy mess of a taco with cooked onions and with an amazingly confusing flavor, much like Jesse’s Taco De Mexico. I don't know what the hell is going on but, so far, no one seems to be able to pull off a decent Al Pastor around Oxnard (in my opinion).

The Carnitas were also chopped up into tiny bits with an adequate amount of fattiness but zero crispiness! Man alive what a disappointment, and again, the salsa roja might have covered up the flaws in these tacos but there just wasn't enough.

The only real star here was the Buche taco. I haven't had one in a while so maybe any buche taco would have been awesome but I really liked this particular one. It had a distinctive pork flavor and the texture was soft, moist and melted in your mouth. I wish I would have just ordered 4 of these. The minimal amount of salsa on this taco actually helped! It let the cuts of stomach lining to stand out on their own, very delicious.

Well, El Taco De Mexico didn't really blow me away or anything and the fact that the buche was the best they had to offer for a taco isn't saying much. Easy come easy go. 2/5 stars.

El Taco De Mexico
3101 Saviers Road
Oxnard, CA 93033

1 comment:

  1. Well, Don Gaby's makes a kick ass Al Pastor and they are located in Oxnard. Its a taco truck but I stand corrected.

    ReplyDelete