Monday, October 18, 2010

Manny's Mexican Grill - Thousand Oaks


Well, I didn't plan to be visiting Manny's this soon on this blog but, with my family adding a new member ( a baby girl ) and while taking care of the 2 existing kids with the wife at the hospital, I had precious little time to write a new post with me being so busy. So I figured I would just get to the nearest taqueria ASAP and see how it goes.

After visiting the local hospital were my wife was staying at in Thousand Oaks, I headed over to Manny's Grill to try some of their tacos. I've admittedly never had a taco from Manny's ( I've always ordered burritos ) and now seemed as good as time as any. More importantly, it was the most logistically convenient to my location.

Since moving to Thousand Oaks when I was a kid, I've frequented Manny's many a time. How could you not? It was the only respectable hole in the wall taqueria around. So even though I haven't eaten there in few years, I still have endearing memories of the place. But, it was time to give their tacos the once over.




When I got there the it was totally empty. I quickly ordered my (sort of) usual 3 tacos: Pastor, Asada and Carnitas and headed over to the salsa bar. Man, I guess I've never noticed how tidy and clean their condiments area was. But then again, it was not like I was in there during the lunch rush or anything so it should be clean as a whistle. As far as the salsa offerings, they had Verde, Roja and a house salsa for dipping chips. The Verde and Roja were disappointing (both very watery and lacking in heat) but the house salsa was very pleasant. It had a ton of flavor with a smooth heat and it also included spicy pickled carrots that were in the salsa, which is a nice touch.




The tacos: Carne Asada was not that good. Although the taco was piping hot and the meat was somewhat tender, it had a very rubbery texture to it with a lot of connective tissue. The flavor was kind of there but it was lacking in so many other ways. The salsa roja that it came topped with was okay but like the salsas at the condiment table it was a tad bit watery.

Al Pastor had an adequate flavor ( and I'm really trying to be nice for old times sake ), I don't think it came off of a trompo or anything. But just like the last few Al Pastor tacos that I've tried, it tastes like a big slippery mess drenched in sauteed onions with the pork swimming in an overly cumin tasting sauce that's more akin to Indian Chicken Tikka Masala than Al Pastor. Shitty? yes. Alright, that was not nice.

The Carnitas was really good; shredded pork that was succulent and a little greasy with loads of pork flavor that can sometimes be missing in carnitas. The meat fell apart as I was eating the taco, almost like pulled pork. I know that I'm a stickler for carnitas having crispy bits to them but I didn't mind that component missing in these tacos.

I love Manny's and their food has always been there for me in the past. During the good times and the bad and usually paired with an alcoholic beverage.

Unfortunately, I have to give them a negative review based only on the tacos I tried. I'm not saying that I don't enjoy eating at Manny's or that I wouldn't mind having a burrito or potato taco there sometime soon but its become obvious to me that since no real challengers emerged in Thousand Oaks ( Or stayed in business long ) to compete in the "hole in wall-health department issues-taqueria" business that Manny's has simply not stepped up their game over time.

Sorry this is starting to read like a break up letter or something but I really do like the place. Its just that those tacos sucked in comparison to whats in the rest of the county. 2/5 stars.





Manny's Mexican Grill
1030 East Avenida De Los Arboles
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360

1 comment:

  1. WERD... excellent review. Never ate there, but I'm sure it's accurate.

    ReplyDelete