Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Tacos Mi Peublo - Oxnard


With the winds kicking up around Southern California ( which I hate ) and me crying myself to sleep after re-reading my Manny's review, it was time to get back on the horse and have some of that sweet elixir that is the taco.

Anyhow, eating at Taco Mi Pueblo in Oxnard for today's post. I've never been to this taqueria but I hear its good and there are a few different locations in the Ventura County area. Also, my brother-in-law was buying so that gave me extra motivation to post something new.

Although we stopped in during the lunch hour, the place was totally quiet. That's not a real good sign.

There was actually one person there and after they were finished at the register, I placed my order for 3 tacos: Buche, Carnitas and Carne Asada. There were other options for taco fillings on the menu like cabeza and lengua too.

Checking out the salsa bar, I have to say, I was impressed with the options. The salsa's were: Verde, Roja, Pico De Gallo, Chile De Arbol and something else that I couldn't make out. They also had pickled jalapenos and spicy pickled onions, which was was awesome because I have not seen pickled onions yet in my travels.



The tacos arrived at my table only with cilantro and onions sprinkled on top. I decided to douse them with some of that salsa roja. I tried a spoonful before I did and let me just say, that it was hands down the best salsa roja I've had. Things unraveled quickly from there though.

 I tried the carne asada first and it tasted like they threw it in the microwave before they served it to me. Wow, not only that, but the carne asada was cut in to huge chunks with a rubbery texture that was difficult to chew. I put more of that salsa roja on top to see if I could make some magic happen but it was all for not.



The Carnitas were average, not bad or great, just okay. They had a sufficient amount of fattiness to them (again, cut in to chunky pieces) with the shredded stringy pieces of pork coming apart nicely.

The Buche was not to bad either, but it was not as awesome as the buche I had at El Taco De Mexico. This one, much like the carne asada, was cut into large chunks. Its tough to make buche suck since its naturally fatty and tender, with that strong pork flavor but I didn't like the large chunks and again, tasted like it came out of the microwave. Damn.

Also, even though they make tortillas fresh there daily, that doesn't mean they automatically taste good. The corn tortillas on my tacos were dry and almost cold. So maybe they made them that morning but they were probably sitting around ever since. What could have fixed that is to throw those bad boys on the plancha (griddle) with some oil like every other taqueria does.

Well, even though I was wowed by the salsa bar, the tacos at Tacos Mi Pueblo were not very good. The execution was terrible, but maybe they were having an off day when I came in? I don't know, but I should probably go back on another day just to make sure. These tacos made the tacos I ate at Manny's a week earlier taste like they came out of a taco truck in the middle of Boyle Heights at midnight. Which is to say, good. At this point, I'll have to give a Tacos Mi Pueblo a low score until I go back. 1.5/5 stars

Tacos Mi Pueblo
189 East Gonzales Road
Oxnard, Ca 93036

No comments:

Post a Comment